Job Seeker Home
Anesthesia Support Assistant
Houston, TX 77030 United States
Position Title: Anesthesia Support Assistant (01759)
Department: Anesthesia Services
Reports to: Supervisor, Anesthesia Services
The primary purpose of the Anesthesia Support Assistant position is to under the direction of an anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist, assist with the administration of anesthesia by providing an adequate level of supplies.
1. Maintain operating rooms by cleaning, assembling and restocking anesthesia equipment and supplies. Disposes of appropriate items and ensure all items are replaced and in appropriate location.
2. Provide support to anesthesiology faculty and staff by obtaining needed supplies, drugs or equipment. Perform duties in an expedient manner as requested.
3. Serves as a direct assistant to the anesthesia team in all airway and intubation emergencies.
4. When necessary, preparation of patient for invasive procedures such as epidural, arterial line and central line placements under the direct supervision of the anesthesiologist or CRNA.
5. Decontaminate, clean and transport reusable items to the sterilize room for processing.
6. Set up intravenous fluids, arterial monitors, blood and fluid warmers, and humidifiers using aseptic techniques. Set up or assists with set up of anesthesia machines and suction equipment for each procedure.
7. Replace gas cylinders, supplies, or equipment during the operative procedure under the immediate direction of the anesthesiologist or CRNA.
8. Perform periodic cleaning of machines, carts, IV stations, workroom, and storeroom as required.
9. Perform daily inspections of the machine and supplies on the Anesthesia Cart, pediatric cart and yellow are stock carts as required.
10. Monitor surgery schedules to ensure operating rooms are equipped with appropriate anesthesia supplies and equipment specifically needed to follow cases.
11. Assist with the transfer of patients and equipment to and from OR, PACU, SICU, MRI, MICU, CAT SCAN, Angiography and Radiotherapy as required.
12. Monitors supply levels and maintain established inventory levels. Reorder supplies as necessary.
13. Trouble shoots problems with equipment and refers problems to supervisor as necessary.
14. Inspect all equipment for mechanical failures and repair or coordinate needed repairs with Biomed/contract repairperson as needed/requested.
15. Performance and quality checks of invasive and non-invasive patient care equipment.
16. Assist with the delivery of equipment to satellite/non-or anesthesia locations and provide support in the delivery of anesthesia care.
17. Work shifts if necessary, to support the anesthesia care team.
Required: High school graduate or equivalent
Preferred: AAS degree in Anesthesia Technology
Required: Current certification as an Anesthesia Technician .
Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
Required: 2 years healthcare experience. No experience required with preferred education.
Preferred: 2 years anesthesia technician experience
Education, training, experience:
Do you know someone who would be interested in this job?
Terms & Conditions